Our experienced inquest solicitors have helped and advised many families through the inquest process. Family members can attend inquests and ask witnesses questions about the circumstances and medical cause of the death.
However, we understand the emotional difficulties of dealing with an inquest at the same time as a bereavement. Our role is to listen to your questions and concerns and do our best to make sure the inquest addresses them, so that you get the answers you need.
When someone loses a family member and there is concern that medical negligence is to blame, it’s only natural that they will want to understand what happened and why. An inquest can be an opportunity for families to ask questions and try to get the answers they need.
Compensation for loss of life
The information from an inquest can help our solicitors to assess whether the family of someone who has died could claim compensation for medical negligence. In cases where death is due to medical negligence, personal injury or accident it is possible to make a claim on behalf of the deceased’s Estate for the following:
- Financial losses incurred by the person who has died before their death (this might include expenses incurred, or loss of earnings whilst in hospital)
- Compensation for pain and suffering arising before death
- Funeral expenses (if paid for by the Estate)
Dependants of the deceased can also claim for the losses they have suffered as a result of the death, which could include:
- A dependency claim for financial loss
- Funeral expenses (if paid for by the dependants)
- A fixed sum of £11,800 for a death occurring after 1st January 2008, sometimes known as a ‘bereavement award’. This can only be claimed by the husband or wife of the deceased, or the parents, if the deceased was under 18 and unmarried.
Our Inquest Solicitors have helped many families to claim compensation for medical negligence following a bereavement. If you would like to talk to a solicitor in confidence, call 0800 138 0458 or complete our contact form and we will call you back.