Change of Name Deeds

Professional advice to help you change your name legally

If you are seeking to change your name, you may want to use a Change of Name Deed so that you have formal written evidence to present to official organisations. Contact our team today for advice on how best to achieve this.

Get in Touch

Call us: 0800 138 0458

Switalskis Solicitors - Change of Name DeedsHow do I change my name?

In England and Wales there are no restrictions on changing your name, unlike many other countries. This means that you can simply start using the name you wish and it is legally considered your name through usage. However, this is not the case if you are changing your name with intent to defraud or mislead which has significant implications.

What is a Change of Name Deed?

Although there is no legal process to changing your name, you will need formal evidence if you wish to apply for a new passport, driving license, or if you need to provide documentation to your bank and other organisations. For example, many women wish to change their name after a divorce so that it is officially recognised. Our Family Law solicitors can prepare a Change of Name Deed for you which you can then present to these organisations.

A Change of Name Deed is a contract that essentially means that you are promising to use your new name, and renouncing your previous name. It is a more private method of recording your change of name. You should acquire multiple copies of the Deed to ensure you can submit them to different organisations. However, if you do want to create a public record of your new name, you can register a Deed Poll in the Enrolment Books of the Supreme Court of Judicature, which is within the Royal Courts of Justice in London. These details are then logged in the London Gazette.

The process usually has a very quick turnaround and minimal costs.

How do I change a child's name?

Similar to an adult’s change of name, there is no legal procedure that has to be followed in order for the change to occur, the change of name comes from usage. However, each person with parental responsibility must agree to this change, or else it is not considered valid. The only way this can be allowed is if a court gives permission for the change to go ahead. This lasts until the child is 16 years old, in which case they have the say in their name.

If there are disputes over your child’s name after divorce, it is important that you speak to one of our family law solicitors to get the right advice, as this can be a challenging area.

Our Family Law Specialists

Clare Peckett, Director & Family Law Solicitor

Clare Peckett

Director & Solicitor

Allan Layfield, Director & Family Law Solicitor

Allan Layfield

Director, Solicitor & Collaborative Lawyer

Toby Netting, Family Law Solicitor, Switalskis

Toby Netting

Solicitor & Collaborative Lawyer

Alison Kitchman, Family Law Solicitor

Alison Kitchman

Solicitor & Collaborative Lawyer

Andrew Baines, Family Mediator

Andrew Baines

Solicitor & Family Mediator

Louise Ryder Family Solicitor Switalskis

Louise Ryder


Chris Preston, Consultant Family Law Solicitor, Switalskis

Chris Preston

Consultant Solicitor

Judith Glynn, Consultant Family Solicitor - Switalskis

Judith Glynn

Consultant Solicitor

Sharron Hardman Solicitor - Family Law - Switalskis

Sharron Hardman

Solicitor & Collaborative Lawyer

Samantha Downes


Silhouette Image

Catherine Cain


Maariyah Badat

Trainee Solicitor

How can Switalskis help me?

Our experienced family law team are dedicated to helping you in any way they can and answering any questions you may have, by providing straightforward and practical legal advice.

Call us today on 0800 138 0458 or contact us through the website and we will call you back.

What our clients say

"Thank you for all the valuable advice you gave me through my most difficult time and for helping me to achieve some closure."

Family Law Client

"I was very happy with the service provided and the way my case was handled."

Family Law Client

"They made sure I knew what the next steps were at each part of the process and made sure I was fully informed every step of the way. They were also very proactive in following up paperwork with the other solicitors on my behalf."

Family Law Client